As Chief Commercial Officer for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, Dave Hopkinson presides over the sales, ticketing and marketing of all four of the company’s teams and venues, making it one of the largest and most diverse sports entertainment portfolios in the industry.
We had a chance to catch up with Dave and talk to him about his leadership methodologies and why he chooses BlackBerry to wage business.
The Wolf of Wall Street star was spotted flashing his BlackBerry Q10 at the esteemed Oscar Nominee Luncheon. The photo proved Hollywood’s heartthrob makes great choices and not just in movies. Leonardo was spotted using a Z10 previously and now a Q10. He does make a smart choice in choosing the most secure smartphone.
BlackBerry Limited, a global leader in mobile communications, recently announced BlackBerry® 10 OS version 10.2.1, a new software update for BlackBerry 10 smartphones that lets you do more, more easily, and helps you be more productive and stay better connected. BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 includes hundreds of new enhancements and refinements that will make the things you do every day faster and easier. Subject to carrier approvals, BlackBerry 10 OS version 10.2.1 will be available to customers around the world, rolling out starting 28th January 2014 in the U.S., Europe, Canada, the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America, and will be available for the entire line of smartphones running BlackBerry 10 (including the Porsche Design P’9982).
January 29, 2014
New BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 Lets You Do More, More Easily
Update includes hundreds of new enhancements and refinements and is rolling out to customers through carriers around the world.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia – BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB), a global leader in mobile communications, today announced BlackBerry® 10 OS version 10.2.1, a new software update for BlackBerry 10 smartphones that lets you do more, more easily, and helps you be more productive and stay better connected.
BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 includes hundreds of new enhancements and refinements that will make the things you do every day faster and easier:
- Customize Pinch Gesture to Filter BlackBerry® Hub – BlackBerry Hub lets you access all your messages and notifications in one place. A new feature lets you instantly filter the message list in the Hub. You can customize the Hub to show only Unread Messages, Flagged Messages, Draft Messages, Meeting Invites, Sent Messages or Level 1 Alerts. Once the filter criterion is set, you can simply activate it with a pinch gesture on the Hub’s message list.
- Simplified Phone Experience – The phone includes a new incoming call screen that lets you swipe to the left to answer or swipe right to ignore a call. New intuitive icons allow you to instantly silence the call, or send a Reply Now response through BBM™, SMS or email that you can’t answer the phone right away. You can choose from a list of standard automated responses or respond with a personalized note.
- SMS and Email Groups – You can now create SMS and email groups for more efficient broadcast communications.
- Actionable Lock Screen Notifications – You can now “Tap to open” a message that appears on the lock screen, letting you respond to an important message much quicker or to check messages more discreetly.
- Picture Password for Quick Unlocking – You can quickly unlock your phone using a combination of a picture and a number (0-9) of your choice, which you place at a particular point on the image. When you try to unlock the phone, the picture will appear along with a grid of random numbers. To unlock, simply drag the grid so the number you selected overlays the particular point on the image.
- Customizable Quick Settings Menu – You can now customize what appears on the Settings menu, which includes features such as being able to quickly change the Brightness of the smartphone’s display, toggle various network connections, and access the built-in flashlight. The Settings menu also includes a toggle that lets you instantly switch between your Personal and Work perimeter.
- Offline Browser Reading Mode – You can now save the current web page you’re on for later viewing, even if you are offline or without an Internet connection.
- Preferred Contact Sync – You can now choose the sync source for your Contacts ensuring you always have the most up-to-date contact details. When adding a new contact you can designate which sources you want the contact info to sync with, such as the corporate address book, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.
- Device and Battery Monitor – A new and improved device monitor provides you with essential details on battery usage, the impact of installed apps on battery life and memory usage and storage, as well as CPU stats.
- Automatic Software Updates – OS updates can be set to happen automatically over a Wi-Fi® connection to help ensure you’re always benefiting from the latest and best possible customer experience.
- Enterprise Features – When combined with BES10 version 10.2, enterprise customers will gain additional security features and IT policies for when more granular controls are required, such as for regulated industries and for organizations that work with sensitive data. For more information about BES10, please visit www.bes10.com.
- FM Radio – If you have a BlackBerry® Z30, BlackBerry® Q10 or BlackBerry® Q5 smartphone, the new software update unlocks the built-in FM radio in those handsets. You can listen to local FM stations, which does not require any network connection.
Subject to carrier approvals, BlackBerry 10 OS version 10.2.1 will be available to customers around the world, rolling out starting today in the U.S., Europe, Canada, the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America, and will be available for the entire line of smartphones running BlackBerry 10 (including the Porsche Design P’9982).
For more information about BlackBerry 10, visit www.blackberry.com/blackberry10OS.
A global leader in mobile communications, BlackBerry® revolutionized the mobile industry when it was introduced in 1999. Today, BlackBerry aims to inspire the success of our millions of customers around the world by continuously pushing the boundaries of mobile experiences. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, BlackBerry operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. The Company trades under the ticker symbols “BB” on the Toronto Stock Exchange and “BBRY” on the NASDAQ. For more information, visit www.blackberry.com.
UPDATE: BlackBerry have corrected that the FM Radio support will not be available for Z10 devices due to hardware compatibility but will be available for all other BB10 devices
BlackBerry in a media event at Kuala Lumpur today have shown us some features that we can expect that will come to BlackBerry 10 phones thru the OS 10.2.1 update that will most likely will be rolling out by end of this month.
Mr Koay Seng Tian the Country Product Manager of South East Asia have demoed some of the features to the media. Some of the OS 10.2.1 new features are as below:-
Picture Password Login
- This will be an added level of security to the existing device password where user can choose a picture they like and set a number as their password, where to login the user will match his/her prefer number to the section of the image that they have set.
- A small cosmetic improvement where the charging thunderbolt is now located next to the battery icon instead of inside it for easier viewing.
Option to answer messages in the lock screen
- This feature allows user to not just preview the incoming message but to also answer or respond to it by tapping on the message to response.
Customizable message ring tone
- OS10.2.1 allows user to set custom ring tones for their emails, BBM, SMS, Whatsapp etc. With this function user can preset certain ring tones for personal or for company use or for that special someone with a special ring tone.
Changes to emails
Do you always feel that reading your email message is difficult even thought you have a big phone because those message seems kind of small? well with 10.2.1 you are now able to pinch to zoom to read your email messages.
In the previous version of BB10 OS some users have complain the difficulty in highlighting a text for copy and paste purpose, this have been solved in 10.2.1 where users can press the Shift key on the keyboard and select the text they want by using the circle target to select the desired text.
Pinch to sort allows user to sort they emails in the Hub by pinch and sort your emails as you want it.
OS 10.2.1 also allows user to move from one email to the next without leaving the reading screen or go back to the hub/email to select the next email by pressing the next key icon.
BlackBerry have improve the deletion of the emails where now you can select to delete emails in your phones the default or delete the email from your server as well.
Also built in the 10.2.1 is the ability to allow user to download message while roaming and can readit later and can help to save on roaming cost.
- A new feature is found in contacts where user can now create a contact group.
- With current on the go mobile browsing and the increase of information sometimes bookmarking or remembering the website that we have not finish reading is becoming a hassle, BlackBerry have now allow you the option to download your website and view it offline on the go.
- OS10.2.1 also brings some good news on the FM portion where according to Mr Koay, all BlackBerry 10 devices (except for Z10) will get FM support and user can listen to their favourite FM radios using their handsfree.
New Call Screen
- BlackBerry have release a new call screen that allows user to swipe to left to answer and swipe right to reject call instead of the old way where user swipe down to answer and swipe up to reject. During the demo it was also shown during incoming all user can use the special function call “Reply Now” to send a predefine message o the caller. That is great if I am in a meeting and a not so urgent call come in, instead of ignoring it or reject it straight i can now choose to send a message to the caller to let him know im busy and will call him back.
- Ever wanted to customize your drop down quick settings? well now in OS 10.2.1 you are able to customize it to your liking and it even come with a default flast light app that turns on your camera flash to act as a flash light.
- There is improvement where now you can go to the device management/ app monitor and view the battery graph and charts of usage by your device and apps, that will allow you to close off apps that consume alot of battery.
New Langguage support
- BB10 now support Japanese langguage
Auto OS update
- Perhaps the most needed feature for BB10 devices is the ability of auto update your phone OS. This feature allows your phone to prompt you when there is an update available and allows you to update it thru wifi connections, it will also paused if the
wifi connection is unavailale and continue when it detects wifi again.
Support of Android applications
- Well this is the much awaited feature for BB10 users, now instead of the BlackBerry world apps that you can download you can also now install Android apps via APK files where you can download from many android apps website. We will be sharing the list later on. This is great news as with this update BlackBerry have greatly improved the apps gap that it is facing.
BlackBerry announced today that DATEV, a software company and leading IT service provider in Europe for tax advisors, auditors and lawyers, has selected BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 (BES10) as its Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solution. DATEV, a long-standing BlackBerry customer, has also started the roll out of more than 1,000 BlackBerry 10 smartphones.
DUSSELDORF, GERMANY and WATERLOO, CANADA – BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a world leader in mobile communications, today announced that DATEV, a software company and leading IT service provider in Europe for tax advisors, auditors and lawyers, has selected BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 (BES10) as its Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solution. DATEV, a long-standing BlackBerry customer, has also started the roll out of more than 1,000 BlackBerry 10 smartphones.
“On a daily basis, our employees use their mobile devices to conduct confidential business, and require a reliable smartphone that can secure the transmission of business data across every endpoint, including the device, server and network,” explains Wolfgang Fischer, group leader ICT systems and mobile at DATEV. “With BlackBerry 10 smartphones and BES10, we have the best end-to-end solution in terms of usability, security and cost efficiency. Thanks to BlackBerry, our staff can access internal resources and other shared information on the go, without us having to worry about data loss.”
Founded in 1966, DATEV has become one of the largest information providers and software companies in Europe. It provides companies, municipalities, associations and institutions with accounting, personnel management, business consulting and taxation, enterprise resource planning (ERP), IT security as well as organization and planning services. BES10 provides DATEV a complete end-to-end solution that allows employees to securely access corporate data from their smartphones. In addition, BlackBerry 10 smartphones’ built-in BlackBerry(R) Balance(TM) technology separates and secures corporate data from personal e-mail, apps and documents, eliminating the risk of inadvertent data leakage, while providing end users with a rich consumer experience.
“Customers recognize the value that BES10 brings to their mobility needs with its industry-leading security, usability and cost efficiency. For DATEV, the combination of BlackBerry 10 smartphones and BES10 gives them the ideal combination for a flexible mobile computing environment that meets both corporate and end user requirements,” said Markus C. Muller, Managing Director for Germany at BlackBerry.
BES10 is an integrated, multi-platform solution that secures and manages BlackBerry, iOS(R) and Android(TM) devices focusing on security, usability and cost efficiency to meet an organization’s mobility needs. To date, more than 30,000 BES10 commercial and test servers have been installed by customers around the world. For more information, visit http://blackberry.com/bes10facts.
It seems BlackBerry board is happy with Mr John Chen performance and have decided to drop his interim title and appointing him as the CEO of BlackBerry. Adam Emery, a spokesman for the company, confirmed the title change and said that this week during at International CES, the large electronics trade show in Las Vegas, Mr. Chen promised to stay on at BlackBerry, which lost $4.4 billion in its last quarter.
“After earnings, and again in meetings with media and analysts at C.E.S., John said that he would be BlackBerry’s C.E.O. until the company is back on solid financial footing,” Mr. Emery wrote. “The search for a CEO has been put on the back burner for now.”
On day 19 we see NBA Jam offered for Z10 and Z30 users and Angry Birds is being offered for Q10 and Q5 users, its both cool games and hurry download it now.
Are you living in India? well good news from BlackBerry they are reducing the Q10 price for you. go grab one today and don’t miss this offer. The BlackBerry 10 device with the ‘best’ hardware keyboard is now retailing for a reduced price from today until January 26th, 2014.
With a renewed focus on the QWERTY keyboard loyalist, BlackBerry today announced a limited period special offer. Customers can now purchase BlackBerry Q10 smartphone at just Rs. 38,990. This special offer starting today will be valid till January 26th, 2014.
This scheme on BlackBerry Q10 is in line with BlackBerry’s commitment towards the Indian market and will help the brand to reach out to more potential customers and qwerty keyboard loyalists.
Sunil Lalvani- Managing Director India for BlackBerry said. “There are several customers in India who love the physical QWERTY experience offered by BlackBerry. At this compelling price point, QWERTY loyalists can take advantage of the powerful BlackBerry 10 platform as well as the unique QWERTY experience that the BlackBerry Q10 offers.”
Have you updated your BB10 device to the new OS 10.2? if not i would suggest you go and download it now, there are tons of improvements from 10.1 many which are useful. Even thought I am already using a leak version of 10.2.0.1047 the release version have more improvements and additional email and message sounds which are great.
BlackBerry OS 10.2 introduces new features that will help you be more productive and stay better connected. It includes hundreds of new refinements that make the things you do every day faster and easier. Here are just some of the new features you’re going to love in BlackBerry OS 10.2:
Keep your important conversations closer than ever with the new BlackBerry® Priority Hub. Always at your fingertips, Priority Hub learns what conversations are most important to you and automatically puts those messages at the top of your inbox, helping you to stay focused on the most important items. The new attachment view helps you find files and documents across your messaging accounts and within specific message threads.
BBM Video with Natural Sound
BBM™ Video has always allowed you to have a live face-to-face conversation. Now, with BlackBerry® Natural Sound, BBM Video and Voice conversations between BlackBerry 10 smartphones sound more natural and realistic. It’s the next best thing to being in the same room. BlackBerry Natural Sound captures a wider sound spectrum, so you can hear subtle nuances that are lost in most cellular calls.
Instant Previews of BBM, SMS and Email from any app
BBM, SMS and E-mail messages now find you no matter what you are doing on your BlackBerry 10 smartphone. Email, BBM and SMS message previews now appear in any app – you can even respond to your BBM or SMS messages in any app, or go to the BlackBerry Hub with a single swipe to respond to your email. Perfect for keeping the conversation going while you browse the web, watch a video, or use other apps. Of course, you can tailor notifications to the way you work to ensure you’re only notified as much as you want to be.
The smartphone keyboard that knows your next move just got even smarter. With personalized next word suggestion, auto-correction, and the distinctive BlackBerry keyboard layout, we’ve built this keyboard to help you have conversations with speed and accuracy. And on the BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry Z30, improved audio feedback with distinct tones for specific keys like backspace and shift help you type more confidently because you’ll have more reassurance you’ve hit the right key.
Copy and Paste Enhancements
Copy and paste just got easier. BlackBerry 10.2 gives you more precise cursor control and text selection is now easier. Once you select text, a pop-up menu gives you editing options and direct sharing with BBM, Facebook and Twitter – so you can quickly copy, paste and share.
Faster, Easier Sharing
BlackBerry 10.2 learns how you share and who you share with, helping you reduce the number of steps and amount of time it takes to get your files, photos, or documents to where they need to go. Touching “share” in any app provides suggestions on who and how to share your files based on who you’ve shared with in the past, and the feature only gets smarter the more you use it.
Lock Screen Notifications
When the red light on your BlackBerry 10 smartphone starts blinking, you don’t have to unlock the phone to see your message. Take a peek at the latest email, text, BBM, or notification right from the lock screen to see if that’s the message you’ve been waiting for or one that can wait a while. You can customize which accounts appear on the lock screen and scroll over the icons to display the sender and subject line.
Reply Now lets you respond to incoming phone calls, even when it’s not a good time to answer the phone. Easily send a response through BBM, SMS or email – choose from a list of standard automated responses or respond with a personalized note. Perfect for ensuring that important contacts are always given your attention.
BlackBerry Calendar now comes with an ‘I’m running late’ function so you can instantly let meeting participants know if you’ll be late. You can even specify a new time in your notification. A redesigned interface makes adding an event easier, so managing your time is simpler.
For more information about BlackBerry 10, visit http://www.blackberry.com/blackberry10OS.