BlackBerry has officially announced their latest update to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, BlackBerry 10.2.1. As per our earlier posting, the roll out begins today, and will be launched on every major carrier by the end of February. The 10.2.1 OS has already been leaked many, many times, but if you’re unfamiliar with it, you can expect a lot of differences, new features, and improvements. Some of the big changes include:
– Direct install of Android .APKs from device or over the air
– BlackBerry Hub “pinch” gesture to filter
– Volume control appears at the top of the screen
– Percentage indicator for battery
– Active Lock Screen notifications
– Picture Password
– Customizable Quick Settings
– and much more!
Check out the official press release below for all the info.
New BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 Lets You Do More Easily
Update includes hundreds of new enhancements and refinements and is rolling out to customers through carriers around the world beginning today
WATERLOO, ONTARIO–(Marketwired – Jan. 28, 2014) – BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in mobile communications, today announced BlackBerry(R) 10 OS version 10.2.1, a new software update for BlackBerry 10 smartphones that lets you do more, more easily, and helps you be more productive and stay better connected.
BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 includes hundreds of new enhancements and refinements that will make the things you do every day faster and easier:
– Customize Pinch Gesture to Filter BlackBerry(R) Hub – BlackBerry Hub
lets you access all your messages and notifications in one place. A new
feature lets you instantly filter the message list in the Hub. You can
customize the Hub to show only Unread Messages, Flagged Messages, Draft
Messages, Meeting Invites, Sent Messages or Level 1 Alerts. Once the
filter criterion is set, you can simply activate it with a pinch gesture
on the Hub’s message list.
– Simplified Phone Experience – The phone includes a new incoming call
screen that lets you swipe to the left to answer or swipe right to
ignore a call. New intuitive icons allow you to instantly silence the
call, or send a Reply Now response through BBM(TM), SMS or email that
you can’t answer the phone right away. You can choose from a list of
standard automated responses or respond with a personalized note.
– SMS and Email Groups – You can now create SMS and email groups for more
efficient broadcast communications.
– Actionable Lock Screen Notifications – You can now “Tap to open” a
message that appears on the lock screen, letting you respond to an
important message much quicker or to check messages more discreetly.
– Picture Password for Quick Unlocking – You can quickly unlock your phone
using a combination of a picture and a number (0-9) of your choice,
which you place at a particular point on the image. When you try to
unlock the phone, the picture will appear along with a grid of random
numbers. To unlock, simply drag the grid so the number you selected
overlays the particular point on the image.
– Customizable Quick Settings Menu – You can now customize what appears on
the Settings menu, which includes features such as being able to quickly
change the Brightness of the smartphone’s display, toggle various
network connections, and access the built-in flashlight. The Settings
menu also includes a toggle that lets you instantly switch between your
Personal and Work perimeter.
– Offline Browser Reading Mode – You can now save the current web page
you’re on for later viewing, even if you are offline or without an
– Preferred Contact Sync – You can now choose the sync source for your
Contacts ensuring you always have the most up-to-date contact details.
When adding a new contact you can designate which sources you want the
contact info to sync with, such as the corporate address book, Gmail,
– Device and Battery Monitor – A new and improved device monitor provides
you with essential details on battery usage, the impact of installed
apps on battery life and memory usage and storage, as well as CPU stats.
– Automatic Software Updates – OS updates can be set to happen
automatically over a Wi-Fi(R) connection to help ensure you’re always
benefiting from the latest and best possible customer experience.
– Enterprise Features – When combined with BES10 version 10.2, enterprise
customers will gain additional security features and IT policies for
when more granular controls are required, such as for regulated
industries and for organizations that work with sensitive data. For more
information about BES10, please visit http://www.bes10.com.
– FM Radio – If you have a BlackBerry(R) Z30, BlackBerry(R) Q10 or
BlackBerry(R) Q5 smartphone, the new software update unlocks the built-
in FM radio in those handsets. You can listen to local FM stations,
which does not require any network connection.
Subject to carrier approvals, BlackBerry 10 OS version 10.2.1 will be available to customers around the world, rolling out starting today in the U.S., Europe, Canada, the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America, and will be available for the entire line of smartphones running BlackBerry 10 (including the Porsche Design P’9982).
Malaysian users also starts receiving the updates around 8pm local time today.
To check for the update simply go to Settings>Software Updates>Check for Updates
As the file is about 357Mb you might want to connect to WiFi to avoid disruption upon updating.